Skip to main content
Click Here to Register for the Night Sky at the Lighthouse Museum
Historic Stonington
search
0
Menu
  • VISIT
    • Visit Overview
    • The Lighthouse Museum
    • Palmer House Museum
    • Woolworth Library & Research Center
      • Woolworth Library & Research Center
      • Research Assistance
      • Historic House Program
      • Search Digital Catalog
      • Online Exhibits & Resources
      • Video Library
    • Preservation Properties: The Arcade & Ocean Bank
    • Stonington Historic Walking Tour
  • PROGRAMS &
    EVENTS
    • America 250
    • Calendar
    • 2026 Cannonball
    • Rollie McKenna Community Photo Contest
    • Weddings & Rentals
  • EDUCATION
    • Group & School Visits
    • Stonington Historic Walking Tour
  • JOIN &
    SUPPORT
    • Overview
    • Membership
    • Donate
    • Welcome to the Lighthouse Campaign
    • Volunteer & Careers
  • SHOP
    • Gift Shop
    • Tickets
    • My Cart
  • BUY TICKETS
  • search
  • 0
    was successfully added to your cart.
Historic Stonington
Press enter to begin your search
Close Search

Origins of the Viaduct

  • March 24, 2020

As researched and presented by Bob Suppicich, at the LaGrua Center, 2011.

  • Previous Project
  • Next Project

historicstonington

Development@stoningtonhistory.org

This is a friendly reminder that tomorrow is Natio This is a friendly reminder that tomorrow is National Dog Day! Be sure you give the dogs in your life a belly rub, lots of treats, and plenty of kisses - the local representatives tell us its mandatory! 

This good boy is Toby, the Streeter family dog, photographed in 1916 at their home on North Main Street. Gift of Anita P. (Streeter) Smith. 

#localhistory #dogs #history #community #memories #pets #goodboy #StoningtonCT #nationaldogday #love #adoptdontshop #rescue
St. Patrick Catholic Church, Mystic, 1910. From St. Patrick Catholic Church, Mystic, 1910. 

From the Saint Patrick's website: "On October 30, 1870, St. Patrick Church was dedicated by Bishop Francis McFarland, and Father Patrick Lawler. The dedication ceremony was largely attended by all denominations and nearly 2,000 people were present. At that time the Catholic population numbered 450 souls. The Stonington Mirror reported the dedication in its November 5, 1870 edition: 'On Sunday last, Right Reverend Francis P. McFarland dedicated St. Patrick Church at this place. At 9 o'clock Father James Reynolds, at the head of about 130 children and youth awaiting Confirmation, along with the laity and spectators, went out to meet the Bishop at the top of the hill on the Stonington side.' The trustees of the Westerly and Stonington churches came in a barouche and escorted them to the church. The Bishop and the priest passed down the east aisle, out around the church and returned to the chancel by the west aisle, reading in Latin the dedication service. The church was then pronounced dedicated to the worship of God under the name and patronage of St. Patrick.

#localhistory #Catholic #religion #history #MysticCT #StoningtonCT #StPatrick #community #memories #19thcentury #worship
Postcard of Salt Acres, 1911. Erastus S. Chesebr Postcard of Salt Acres, 1911. 

Erastus S. Chesebro (1832-1922) joined thousands of "forty-niners" who traveled to California seeking gold in the California Gold Rush. He returned to Stonington with enough money to build this beautiful mansard roof home in 1869. Known then as Little Point, the land was part of the original William Chesebrough land grant in 1649 that spanned over 2300 acres. Chesebro returned to Stonington at the outbreak of the Civil War to organize and command a military company. After the war, he returned to California, where he became Chief of the Napa City fire department. He had a steam fire engine built at Providence, RI, for the California department, which was shipped by way of Cape Horn, and it was the first engine of its type on the Pacific Coast. He came back to Stonington permanently and served as chief of the Stonington fire department from 1877 to 1894. The second owner, Henry F. Davis, a retired railroad builder, first fell in love with the sprawling mansion from his private railcar as he commuted to Boston. Mr. Davis purchased the property in 1910 and lived there for just four years. The home sat abandoned for more than a decade before it was purchased by Robert L. Johnstone in 1925 and renamed "Salt Acres" - a farm by the sea. Mrs. Johnstone remodeled the house in 1927 and added a wing to accommodate their large family. 

#localhistory #architecture #goldrush #history #community #oldhouses #housetour #StoningtonCT #19thcentury #memories #SaltAcres
Men pouring molten metal into molds at the Atwood Men pouring molten metal into molds at the Atwood Machine Company during the 1940s. During World War II, Atwood Machine Company manufactured products for the war effort. This included: ammunition machinery, cam limit stops, depth charges, gray iron castings, gun carriage parts, gun mounts, gyroscope parts, machine tool parts, submarine parts and truck axles. Gift of Judith Honiss. 

#localhistory #community #WorldWarII #memories #Atwood #StoningtonCT #wartime #wareffort #history #metalwork
Abigail Pendleton was born January 10, 1794 in Sto Abigail Pendleton was born January 10, 1794 in Stonington, the daughter of Charles Pendleton and Abigail Rhodes, the eldest of their five children. She married Francis Amy and became a mother before her 22nd birthday. Abby's life was marked by loss that would be hard for us to imagine. Her younger brother Charles was murdered at sea. Her sister Maria died as a child. Abby had fifteen children, and only two of them outlived her. (Ten of those children died in infancy.) Abby died in Providence, not long after her seventy fifth birthday. She is buried in the Stonington Cemetery beside a small cradle-shaped gravestone which lists the names of her departed babies. 

This portrait was painted by Phineas Stanton, and was the gift of Miss F. Amy Richards, Abby's granddaughter. 

#localhistory #womenshistory #loss #grief #motherhood #19thcentury #perseverence #StoningtonCT #genealogy #familyhistory #portrait
We're taking a short break! The Woolworth Library We're taking a short break! The Woolworth Library will be closed on Monday, but will reopen with regular hours on Wednesday, August 19th at 9am.  We apologize for any inconvenience. 

#localhistory #nonprofit #closure #StoningtonCT #library #researchcenter #history
Postcard by Ed N. Burdick, 1905 of the Pawcatuck b Postcard by Ed N. Burdick, 1905 of the Pawcatuck bridge area looking toward Westerly.  The photographer appears to be standing near the corner of Mechanic Street and West Broad.  From the Dorothea Hewitt Gould Collection. 

#localhistory #photography #20thcentury #community #PawcatuckCT #history
A small headstone in the Babcock Cemetery in Pawca A small headstone in the Babcock Cemetery in Pawcatuck, to the two lost daughters of Charlotte Noyes Babcock and David Babcock. David was the captain of the clipper ship "Young America", and his wife Charlotte accompanied him on numerous voyages to China, India and the Pacific. Charlotte wrote her reminiscences of her seven years at sea, which also includes her heartbreaking memories of the loss of these two infants. 

On losing Lulu, the first of three children who would die in childhood: "Once more at sea on the good ship "Young America", bound again for San Francisco and perhaps around the world, leaving New York this time with sad hearts because of the death of our little Lulu, who, only a few weeks after our arrival home from the Sandwich Islands and while on a visit to relatives in the country, was taken suddenly ill with inflammation of the lungs and died in a few days. This was our first sorrow, and it seemed very hard to bear. It was in the lovely month of June, snowballs were in blossom and were placed around her in her little coffin, fit emblems of her purity and innocence. Though we mourned her deeply, yet we tried to be reconciled and feel it was best, for He hath said "of such is the Kingdom of Heaven." For years, in fact to this very day, I cannot see snowballs without a pang at my heart and a vision of that lovely infant as she lay sleeping with them around her." 

#localhistory #motherhood #community #grief #loss #memories #chinatrade #maritime #history #love #19thcentury
Detail of a lacquer tray brought back from China b Detail of a lacquer tray brought back from China by Captain Thomas Forsyth, on display in the Captain Nathaniel B. Palmer House. 

#localhistory #smallmuseums #chinatrade #19thcentury #export #decorativearts #tableware #community #history #StoningtonCT #China #traderoutes
Elsie Piver Monsam (1915-1975) at the counter at R Elsie Piver Monsam (1915-1975) at the counter at Roland's Market. Photograph by Rollie McKenna. 

What do you remember most about Roland's Market?

#memories #localhistory #photography #20thcentury #Portuguese #StoningtonCT #nostalgia #community

Welcome to Historic Stonington.
Our mission is to preserve, interpret, and
celebrate the history of all of Stonington.

DONATE

©2023-2026 Historic Stonington | Site Refresh by Dessa Lea Productions

P.O. Box 103, Stonington CT 06378 | director@historicstonington.org | (860) 535-8445

  • About
  • Mission Statement
  • Financial and Governance Documents
  • Board of Directors & Staff
  • Collaborations & Sponsors
  • Privacy Policy
  • News
  • Contact

"*" indicates required fields

Sign Up to Stay in Touch

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Historic Stonington, 40 Palmer Street, Stonington, CT 06378, US, http://www.historicstonington.org. You can unsubscribe at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.

©2023 Historic Stonington | Site Refresh by Dessa Lea Productions

Close Menu
BUY TICKETS
Click Here to Register for the Night Sky at the Lighthouse Museum
  • VISIT
    • Visit Overview
    • The Lighthouse Museum
    • Palmer House Museum
    • Woolworth Library & Research Center
      • Woolworth Library & Research Center
      • Research Assistance
      • Historic House Program
      • Search Digital Catalog
      • Online Exhibits & Resources
      • Video Library
    • Preservation Properties: The Arcade & Ocean Bank
    • Stonington Historic Walking Tour
  • PROGRAMS &
    EVENTS
    • America 250
    • Calendar
    • 2026 Cannonball
    • Rollie McKenna Community Photo Contest
    • Weddings & Rentals
  • EDUCATION
    • Group & School Visits
    • Stonington Historic Walking Tour
  • JOIN &
    SUPPORT
    • Overview
    • Membership
    • Donate
    • Welcome to the Lighthouse Campaign
    • Volunteer & Careers
  • SHOP
    • Gift Shop
    • Tickets
    • My Cart
  • facebook
  • youtube
  • instagram